by Gautham Pai (@buzypi) on Thursday, 9 June 2011

Session type
Demo

Technical level
Intermediate

Media

Objective

Creating a completely replicable multi-server setup in your laptop or development sandbox for testing purposes

Description

As developers we have seen these problems:

Our development environments accumulate lots of applications and libraries over a period of months.

We are usually in the habit of installing everything in one machine.

We fear that we may screw up our development environment and that means unproductive man-hours.

We forget that a multi-machine deployment is different from a single machine deployment.

How about virtualization in the desktop?

In this demo, I will take you through the steps to create a multi-VM development environment.

This demo will make use of QEMU, KVM and Virt Manager and show you how you can create a VM image, and then start servers with a set of commands, deploy your app, test everything and tear down the environment once you are happy - all this in the cosy comforts of your laptop or desktop.

Requirements

Knowledge of deploying apps in the cloud (Amazon AWS or something else) is helpful

Knowledge of Virtualbox or QEMU is a plus

Comments

• 5
    [-] Kiran Jonnalagadda (@jace) Reviewer 6 years ago

That's a great idea. Testing for the cloud is a pain. My development environment is just one laptop with everything on localhost, so all kinds of things break mysteriously in a multi-server setup.

A way to reproduce that environment for testing would be great.

• 3
    [-] Gautham Pai (@buzypi) Proposer 6 years ago

rithish - this is about setting up a quick cloud environment in your laptop to test configurations, than to actually setup the entire dev environment in the cloud. The former is required by startups which can't afford a full cloud setup for a dev/staging environment and would like to minimize their costs, while still being able to test their applications in a setup that mimics their production environment.

• 2
    [-] rithish (@rithish) 6 years ago

Maybe someone from shufflr.tv can take this up? I have heard that even their dev environment is on the cloud...

• 1
      [-] Kiran Jonnalagadda (@jace) Reviewer 6 years ago

I've spoken to them and they said they'd consider, but haven't heard back.

• 2
    [-] Gautham Pai (@buzypi) Proposer 6 years ago

If there are enough people interested, I could perhaps take this up - although frankly, I don't have everything working as yet.

• 2
    [-] Gautham Pai (@buzypi) Proposer 6 years ago

I have started documenting the content that I intend to use over here: http://buzypi.in/projects/building-your-own-virtual-cloud-environment/

• 1
    [-] visuthemoon (@vissuthedatascientist) 6 years ago

I would like to attend: viswanath57@gmail.com

• 1
    [-] Pavan Yara 6 years ago

Great! I'm proposing something similar but with "Eucalyptus" open source software.

Gautham: Was wondering if you have decided on the agenda and tools for the session (i.e., apart from KVM and Ubuntu)?

• 1
    [-] Gautham Pai (@buzypi) Proposer 6 years ago

Hello Pavan, I am not looking at the use of Eucalyptus so I think it will be complementary. I am evaluating Fabric/Chef/Puppet/Ensemble. I will keep that document updated.

• 1
    [-] brindha D (@brindha) 4 years ago

Hai Gautham, i'm brindha. will you help me in the setup of cloud environment

• 1
    [-] Vijindra Rajendran (@vijindra) 4 years ago

hi, i am vijindra, can u help me about how to create a cloud environment using a laptop?
    my email id is vijindrarajendran@gmail.com.
    kindly send me if you have any procedures.
    thanks in advance :)

• 1
    [-] Amol Mahadeo Hakke (@amol600467) a year ago

hi, i am Amol, can u help me about how to build cloud environment on a laptop?
    my email id is amolhakke925@gmail.com.
    plz send me about that.