by Ravi Pratap (@ravipratap) on Wednesday, 8 June 2011

Session type
Tutorial

Technical level
Beginner

Media

Objective

Introduce participants to EC2 and help them get started with using Amazon EC2 to deploy and scale a web application

(This is a Lecture+Demo session)

Description

• Learn how to create EC2 instances & deploy your application to them
  • Learn about the various Amazon web services and how you can use them: EC2, S3, CloudFront, Route 53, etc.
  • Understand basic AWS terminology: Instances, Instance types, AMIs, Security groups, Elastic IPs, Elastic Load Balancers, EBS volumes, etc.

Comments

• 5
    [-] Kiran Jonnalagadda (@jace) 6 years ago

EC2 101 was much needed. Thanks for proposing this.

• 2
    [-] Ravi Pratap (@ravipratap) 6 years ago

NetRoY: Custom AMIs built on top of a standard one (like Ubuntu or Fedora), not from scratch. I'll remember to mention the free micro instances :)

• 1
    [-] Deepak Jois 6 years ago

Please introduce AWS Identity and Access Management (http://aws.amazon.com/iam) as part of your talk. It is now supported in the AWS Management Console web interface also, and there is no charge to use it. I have found that very few people are aware of IAM and the benefits it provides, and hence they dont make use of it. Merely making them aware of it right at the beginning can make a huge difference to securely accessing their AWS resources.

Full Disclaimer : I work in AWS and I used to be on the IAM team till a couple of weeks ago and was involved in launching it.

• 1
    [-] Ravi Pratap (@ravipratap) 6 years ago

Kiran: no problem.

Deepak: I consider IAM an advanced topic and probably not appropriate for an EC2 101 session, so I'm going to have to think about this. As it is, I'm worried that I may not stay under 30 minutes :)

• 3
      [-] Deepak Jois 6 years ago

I wasnt talking about covering IAM concepts, but more about introducing it as a sort of best practice when using AWS. Think of it as the cloud equivalent of a Linux user securing his box after a fresh install, by locking out the root account and creating a user with sudo priveleges. It should be fairly simple to demo the IAM console and urge users to create an "admin" user and use keys tied to that user, for calling AWS APIs. These keys can be easily revoked if they get compromised.

Having said all that, 30min does seem a bit short :).

• 2
        [-] Kiran Jonnalagadda (@jace) 6 years ago

I suspect we're seeing the making of a second session on access control best practices. SSH keys, IAM users, et al.

• 1
          [-] Ravi Pratap (@ravipratap) 6 years ago

Agreed, that would be an advanced topic for a separate session

• 1
    [-] Aditya (@netroy) 6 years ago

Ravi: will you be also talking about creating custom AMIs ? Do mention the "free" micro-instance for a year... more folks will give it a try.

• 1
    [-] Kiran Jonnalagadda (@jace) 6 years ago

Ravi, I've added a new session type "tutorial" that probably describes this better than "Lecture+Demo".

• 1
      [-] Ravi Pratap (@ravipratap) 6 years ago

Great, I've updated the type of this session to "Tutorial"

• 1
        [-] Kiran Jonnalagadda (@jace) 6 years ago

Now I need to do comment notifications. :-)

• 1
          [-] Ravi Pratap (@ravipratap) 6 years ago

:) These Reddit-style comments are a bit confusing to me, to be honest. A simpler post/reply commenting style seems more appropriate IMHO.

Login with Twitter or Google to leave a comment